Event: 3 Cities Forum – Tale of Three Cities
Date: Saturday May 21, 2011
6:00pm - 8:30pm.
Place: Brookview Middle School – 4505 Jane Street (wheelchair Accessible)
Info : Please call Cecilia: 416-663-2733 Ext. 305
J. David Hulchanski – Associate Director of Research & Faculty of Social Work Professor.
Grace- Edward Galabuzi – Associate Professor in the Department of Politics and Public Administration, Ryerson University.
Presented by: Action for Neighbourhood Change (ANC).
Childcare and light dinner provided.
Proud of Toronto Call to Action
Calling all LGBTQ and Allied Community Groups, Organizations, Agencies, Coalitions, Service Centers, Activists, and Toronto Residents.
The Proud of Toronto Campaign is seeking your endorsement and support.
Queer and Trans services, programs, and organizations are facing potential threats from the City. We need your help to remind our Mayor and Council why LGBT services and programming are crucial in the fight against queerphobia, transphobia, and hate.
On May 24th, the Executive Committee of City Council will discuss the future of Toronto Pride, with the Mayor and his allies expected to propose and pass a motion to cut public funding for Pride Toronto. This recommendation will go the entire council for a final vote late in June.
Pride depends on public funding to exist, and lack of such support will be a devastating blow to the organization. This motion foreshadows funding cuts to come for key LGBT services in this city, including HIV/AIDS prevention programs, agencies, and organizations.
We need your help to remind the Mayor and Councilors that Toronto Pride creates dedicated safe spaces, celebrates hard-earned human rights victories, and acknowledges the continued struggles for queer and trans peoples. It is also a premiere celebration that draws hundreds of thousands of visitors and contributes tens of millions of dollars to the local economy.
TAKE ACTION TODAY
1. Officially Endorse the Proud of Toronto Campaign; To be recognized as an endorser send an email to email@example.com with your organization’s name (or individual’s name), point person’s email and phone number
2. Send an email to all your organization’s members about the campaign and encourage them to sign the online petition: http://www.change.org/petitions/tell-toronto-city-council-to-support-diversity-and-pride-toronto
3. Call or send a letter to your city councilor and the mayor (To find your councilor, check out: http://app.toronto.ca/im/council/councillors.jsp)
4. Sign up to depute at the May 24th City Council meeting - firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Stay involved with the campaign and keep your members informed of developing changes.
For additional Background Info
Proud of Toronto is currently supported by: Action positive VIH/sida, Africans in Partnership Against AIDS (APAA), African Caribbean Council on HIV/AIDS in Ontario (ACCHO), AIDS Committee of Toronto, Alliance for South Asian AIDS Prevention (ASAAP), Asian Community AIDS Services (ACAS), Bears by Nature, Black Coalition for AIDS Prevention (Black CAP), Buddies in Bad Times Theatre, ‘da Kink in my Hair – Trey Anthony, Deviant Productions, HIV/AIDS Legal Clinic (HALCO), Lesbian Gay Bi Youthline, Inside Out Film and Video Festival, Planned Parenthood of Toronto, PFLAG, Pride Toronto, Ryerson Student’s Union, Social Planning Council of Toronto, The 519 Church St. Community Centre, Trans Health Lobby Group, Toronto HIV/AIDS Treatment Network, Toronto People With AIDS Foundation, Toronto Women’s City Alliance, Tourism Toronto, Women’s Health in Women’s Hands, 103.5 Proud FM, Xtra, and more.