Callout for Shameless Podcast Camp: Telling Stories with Sound!
Illustration: Sophie Freedman-Lawson
Have you ever wanted to start your own podcast? Got this great podcast idea and want to know how to make it real? Interested in learning a new skill? Apply to join the Shameless Podcast Camp!
Please note this is a paid position. All members of the podcast camp will receive an honoraria for attendance and participation. We’ll also provide ttc tokens and snacks!
We’re looking to fill 8 positions.
Here’s what we’ll do:
• Meet once a week for four weeks in November (exact dates & location TBA)
• Cover visioning, methods, how to map an episode, interview basics, common mistakes, sound editing and how to use free tools & resources
• Practice hands-on recording techniques & have listening parties
• You’ll make your own podcast and we’ll showcase it on Shameless Talks, the Shameless podcast
We’re looking for campers who:
• Are 13-19 years old
• Identify as teen girls or trans* youth
• Live in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) or are comfortable commuting downtown for classes, once a week for four weeks
• Have a passion for media, telling stories and social justice
• Are Shameless!
How To Apply
• Please send a 1-page (double-spaced) letter of interest, telling us a little about yourself and why you’re interested in learning how to make podcasts. Tell us about a couple of your favourite podcasts and what you like about them!
• Please specify whether you’re able to bring a laptop, headphones, any recording devices and/or a smartphone. It’s ok if you can’t – just want to get a sense of what’s available to you in case we need to bring extras.
• It’s important for us to work with a diversity of youth, so feel free to self-identify (eg. queer, person of colour, etc.) if you’re comfortable with that!
Application deadline is Monday, October 30th.
About the instructor Julia De Laurentiis Johnson is an editor at Shameless and the podcast host & producer for their podcast, Shameless Talks. She was also the host & producer for the Maclean’s culture podcast, The Thrill, which won Best Podcast Series at the Digital Publishing Awards.
If you’re interested or have questions, please write to Julia at firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Podcast Camp” in the subject of your email.