Join Team Shameless! We’re seeking a new volunteer circulation manager!
Illustration: Erin McPhee
Shameless magazine, a Canadian, independent, feminist voice for young women and trans youth, is looking for a volunteer circulation manager. Are you an organizational whiz? Do you have a commitment to anti-oppression and inclusive feminist politics? Do you have some time to volunteer and a vision for Shameless? Then we need you.
DEADLINE EXTENDED: we will be accepting applications until January 2018. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about this role!
We are looking for a smart, sassy, shameless person to work as our new circulation manager. This is a business position, NOT an editorial position.
• Manages fulfillment of purchased subscriptions and individual issue purchases
• Leads promotion and outreach to sell subscriptions and individual issues
• Manages the online store on the Shameless website
• Manages database, spreadsheets and records of sales, subscriptions and renewals
• Handles all circulation-related correspondence
• Represents the magazine at events such as Word on the Street and the Hamilton Feminist Zine Fair
The ideal candidate will:
• Have an understanding of and commitment to Shameless’s mandate
• Be super organized and an excellent communicator (there is a large volume of email involved in this role) • Have access to sufficient storage space for several cartons of magazines and be able to commit to bi-weekly visits to a post office
• Have an affinity for spreadsheets and databases
• Be available for regular team meetings in Toronto
• Work well with a team
We are looking for people who work well collaboratively, who have a good sense of Shameless’s mandate, who are committed to anti-racist feminist politics, and who are excellent communicators and work well over email (Shameless has no office).
The position is part-time, requiring 5-10 hours per week, depending on the production cycle of the magazine. Most people who work on the magazine do so outside of regular business hours, and meetings are held during evenings and weekends. The person in this position is paid a small honourarium of $50 per issue, 3x a year, which is the same honourarium received by all volunteer staff.
We strongly encourage applications from women and trans people of colour and Indigenous women and trans people, queer and gender-queer folks, and those with experience with anti-racist feminist politics and/or anti-racist feminist organizations. This role is Toronto-based.
Please email a resume and cover letter with examples of your organizational prowess to email@example.com. The deadline for applications is January 31, 2018, although we may begin interviews sooner, so don’t wait to apply! We’ll contact you if we’d like to set up an interview.