Call for volunteer circulation manager!
Illustration: Erin McPhee
Shameless magazine, a Canadian, independent, feminist voice for teens with marginalized genders, is looking for a volunteer circulation manager. Are you an organizational whiz? Do you love spreadsheets and systems? Do you have a commitment to anti-oppression and inclusive feminist politics? Do you have some time to volunteer and a vision for Shameless? Then we need you.
We are looking for a smart, sassy, shameless person to work as our new circulation manager. This is a business position, NOT an editorial position.
Database and Inventory Management
- Manages fulfillment of purchased subscriptions, individual issue purchases and wholesale orders
- Manages the online store on the Shameless website
- Manages subscriber database and records of sales, subscriptions and renewals
- Manages inventory of back issues
- Prepares mailing lists for each issue
- Acts as the customer service contact for all subscription-related correspondence
- Manages renewals and sends renewal reminders
- Manages relationships with wholesalers and distributors
- Leads promotion and outreach to sell subscriptions and individual issues
- Represents the magazine at events such as Word on the Street and zine fairs
The ideal candidate will:
- Have an understanding of and commitment to Shameless’s mandate
- Be super organized and an excellent communicator (there is a large volume of email involved in this role)
- Have access to sufficient storage space for several cartons of magazines (rented/external storage space may be an option) and be able to commit to bi-weekly visits to a post office
- Have an affinity for spreadsheets and databases
- Be available for regular team meetings
- Work well with a team
We are looking for people who work well collaboratively, who have a good sense of Shameless’s mandate, who are committed to anti-racist feminist politics, and who are excellent communicators and work well over email (Shameless has no office).
All positions are part-time, requiring 5-10 hours per week, depending on the production cycle of the magazine. Most people who work on the magazine do so outside of regular business hours, and meetings are held during evenings and weekends. This role requires a commitment to checking email at least three times a week.
Like all roles on this volunteer-run magazine, these positions are unpaid; we offer a $50 honourarium per issue for all positions. (If you have ideas for how we can change that, then please get in touch!).
We strongly encourage applications from Black and Indigenous people, people of colour, queer and trans folks, and those with experience with anti-racist feminist politics and/or anti-racist feminist organizing. We are open to building capacity and creating mentorship opportunities for candidates who are new to this type of work.
Although we have team members across what is now known as Canada, because this role requires access to physical inventory, this role is Toronto-based.
If you have questions or require support with your application, please feel free to contact Julia at email@example.com.
Please email a resume and cover letter with examples of your organizational prowess to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for applications is April 23, 2021. We’ll contact you if we’d like to set up an interview.