Call for volunteer editors!
Illustration: Erin McPhee
Shameless magazine, Canada’s independent, feminist voice for teens with marginalized genders, is hiring volunteer editors for multiple positions. Are you devoted to grassroots publishing? Do you have a commitment to anti-oppression and inclusive feminist politics? Do you have some time to volunteer, and a vision for Shameless? Then we need you.
We are looking for smart, sassy, shameless people to fill the roles of front-of-book editor, columns editor, and reviews editor.
Job description for all three roles:
- Work with the editorial team to develop ideas for and plan the section
- Assign stories to writers and work directly with them to shape stories
- Plan internal submission deadlines for writers to ensure pieces are submitted in a timely manner
- Edit stories and communicate with writers on drafts
- Occasionally represent the website and/or magazine at events such as feminist zine fairs and Word on the Street
Please note that the reviews editor will also:
- Curate a list of 20-25 materials to review, including books, movies, and/or music
- Secure copies of review materials from publishers and press agents
- Source accompanying images for the reviews
The ideal candidate will:
- Have an understanding of and commitment to Shameless’s mandate
- Have excellent writing and editing skills
- Be super organized (ie. managing deadlines) and an excellent communicator
- Have lots of story ideas
- Be available for monthly editorial meetings and occasional proofing sessions
- Work well with a team, especially over email/Slack
- Contacts with writers and/or artists is a plus
All positions are part-time, requiring 5-10 hours per week depending on the production cycle of the magazine. Most people who work on the magazine do so outside of regular business hours, and meetings are typically held during evenings and weekends.
Like all roles on this volunteer-run magazine, these positions are unpaid. Each volunteer staff person receives a small honorarium ($50) per issue. (If you have ideas for how we can change that, then please get in touch!)
We strongly encourage applications from Black and Indigenous people, people of colour, queer and trans folks, and those with experience with anti-racist feminist politics and/or anti-racist feminist organizing. We are open to building capacity and creating mentorship opportunities for candidates who are fresh to editorial work. We have historically prioritized candidates in the Greater Toronto Area to better facilitate face-to-face meetings with magazine staff, but are open to working through other ways of working in order to welcome candidates from across what is now known as Canada. If you have questions or require support with your application, please feel free to contact Sheila at email@example.com.
Please email a resume, a cover letter containing your ideas for the magazine/website, and three writing samples (published or unpublished) to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for applications is Friday, April 23, 2021. We’ll contact you if we’d like to set up an interview.