• Announcements

    Toronto event! Shameless Back To School Launch

    August 31st, 2015     by Team Shameless     Comments

    Shameless magazine is having a back to school party on Friday, September 11 in Toronto! READ MORE

  • In the Blog

    There is an Ocean in My Soul: On the Current State of Trans and Genderqueer Punk

    August 31st, 2015     by Laura Friesen     Comments

    Chances are you’re familiar with Against Me! or Laura Jane Grace. The punk band and their frontwoman have been around for a while and have been gaining exposure in queer and trans communities due to Grace’s activism and status as a role model. But Against Me! are far from the only punk band talking about transgender and genderqueer topics and inspiring listeners to listen to their gender nonconformist hearts. Inspired by my love for their album Transgender Dysphoria Blues and attending a recent Against Me! gig, I went searching for more voices and found angry, political rock music that tells individual stories of gender rejection as unique as the people playing it. READ MORE

  • Youth Voices

    Biphobia and Bi Erasure

    August 28th, 2015     by Samphe Ballamingie     Comments

    An exploration of biphobia and bi erasure in LGBTQ+ communities and western culture. READ MORE

  • Youth Voices

    40 Minutes that Changed My Life

    August 27th, 2015     by Natalya Motluk     Comments

    Natalya Motluk bravely shares a story of sexual assault, reporting, and recovery. Trigger warning: Sexual Assault READ MORE

  • Youth Voices

    The Brilliant Benefits of Baking

    August 25th, 2015     by Kaela Fraser     Comments

    Kaela Fraser fills us in on why she loves baking, and you might too! Includes an easy vegan banana cookie recipe for first timers! READ MORE

  • Embrace the Fail

    August 25th, 2015     by Victoria Chiu     Comments

    I’ve always had a thing about failure. Maybe it’s because of the standards imposed on me by years gone by of attending an old chartered school, or because of the general pressure stereotypical “Asian parents” supposedly exert on their kids. One of the prevailing stereotypes about Asian cultures is that parents stipulate high expectations for their children, and oftentimes this means that anything less than “absolute success” essentially equates to failure. Hence whenever my friends get a 98% on an exam, they’ll joke about what their parents will ask: “What happened to the other 2%?” READ MORE

  • In the Blog

    Denise’s Test, Part 2: More Positive Media Depictions of People of Size

    August 24th, 2015     by Denise Reich     Comments

    As I continue to search for positive depictions of people of size on stage and screen, I’ve come up with several more examples. As a reminder, to pass Denise’s Test the character of size must be treated like any other person on the show. They might be villains or heroes and they might be loved or loathed by the audience, but they’re not there in the context of a stereotype or joke. They’re not a) a stock “villainous glutton” or a related trope; b) they’re not the token “funny fat guy” who exists only for comic relief, and c) their existence is neither defined nor dominated by obsession or contentious relationships with food. Part 2 continues to focus on people of size that appear as main or supporting characters. READ MORE

  • In the Blog

    MID-WEEK ROUND UP: AUGUST 20

    August 20th, 2015     by Jessie Hale     Comments

    Check out what’s making been making our headlines this week. READ MORE

  • In the Blog

    Carless in North America: Ten examples of disadvantage in public transportation

    August 17th, 2015     by Denise Reich     Comments

    A recent Buzzfeed quiz about privilege asked an interesting question: if the reader had to rely on public transportation. It’s an issue that doesn’t seem to be brought up very much, but perhaps it should be. While mass transit is fast and efficient in many parts of the world, if you don’t have your own vehicle you’re at an extreme disadvantage in many parts of North America. The challenges can be substantial, particularly for women, the disabled, and the elderly. READ MORE

  • Blog Series

    Sex and Parenting

    August 13th, 2015     by deb singh     Comments

    It’s a social experiment but we are making the blog series “Queer Brown Girl Trying to be a Parent” into a column! So get ready for a monthly blog about all things Queer, Brown and Parenting! This month’s blog: Sex and Parenting. READ MORE