Shameless is seeking a volunteer Event Coordinator!
Illustration: Erin McPhee
[Editor’s Note: Shameless is a 100% volunteer run organization, with a small honourarium that is the same for all volunteer staff (including art director, business and circulation staff, and editors). In terms of frequency, all volunteer staff positions require approx. 5 hrs per week on average. For this position in particular, work is concentrated around events, especially the annual Shamie Awards.]
Shameless is seeking a volunteer event coordinator to join our team!
The event coordinator works collaboratively with Shameless staff (specifically the business team) to plan fundraising events and launch parties throughout the year. Tasks include:
- Leading a team in organizing the Shamies Awards, our annual large-scale fundraising event. This includes: overseeing a timeline for the event, organizing and managing volunteers, researching and booking accessible venues, approaching sponsors and potential donors, coordinating speakers, managing event logistics
- Planning launch parties for every issue (3x year) by collaborating with Shameless staff and the Youth Advisory Board to brainstorm ideas; reaching out to potential performers, food vendors, community groups, etc.
- Developing ideas for event publicity, contacting media and local event listings, coming up with creative strategies to promote Shameless events
- Working to ensure accessibility and diversity at all Shameless events; this includes developing relationships with accessible spaces, contacting interpreters, seeking out diverse performers/speakers/etc
- Occasionally representing the website and/or the magazine at local events such as Word on the Street, Canzine, and other zine or feminist fairs
The ideal candidate will: - Have an understanding of and commitment to Shameless’s mandate, with a particular emphasis on creating events that are broadly accessible - Be located in the GTA and available for monthly meetings - Be a strong communicator, and work well over regular emails - Be super organized and detail oriented - Be comfortable leading a team and coordinating various tasks at once - Be creative! Have lots of ideas for potential events, have an interest in reaching out to youth - Work well with a team
We are looking for people who work well collaboratively, who have a good sense of Shameless’s vision, who are committed to anti-racist feminist politics, who have event planning experience, and who are excellent communicators who work well over email.
Please email a resume and a cover letter detailing your experience and interest with events and working with youth, to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for applications is Friday, June 17. We’ll contact you if we’d like to set up an interview.